Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 21:39:08 +0100
From:      Stuart Henderson <stuart@eclipse.net.uk>
To:        Dominik Brettnacher <domi@saargate.de>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP Accounting

> I want to account the traffic between two of our systems by using a
> third box that is connected to the same ethernet that the other two
> are using. How do I set up this?

One way is to route _through_ the accounting box, then you
can simply do,

ipfw a 100 pass ip from %%% to ###
ipfw a 200 pass ip from ### to %%%

and you can do "ipfw s" to show how many bytes and packets
passed through. If this is for stats for your own boxes rather
than billing, you could just add ipfw rules on the boxes
themselves.

I haven't investigated this in depth yet but it is likely that
software like /usr/ports/net/trafshow might help as well, though
that would require you to put the network card in promiscuous
mode.