Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2007 19:48:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Darren Henderson <darren@nighttide.net>
To:        Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Productivity with FBSD, or: "portupgrade" vs. virus scans....

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007, Kevin Kinsey wrote:

> How do you keep up with ports?

You don't have to keep up with them. Do you upgrade every application you
have on your windows box every other thing?

If you decide to keep current on ports do it frequently rather then
waiting for months. Do not install gnome.

>   *Do you have (or have you, at some time, had) much trouble?

The only time I've had significant issues is when full gnome upgrades
appear - I could go on for pages about the pain these cause. Thanks to the
recent update I've removed it from my systems and will not be reinstalling
it. Ports that require pieces of it are fine but not gnome itself. (I'm
content with that decission and I don't have any suggestions for fixing it
other then a reminder of POLA as it applies to FreeBSD and the observation
that any port that requires the rebuilding of a major percentage of
installed ports is perhaps not considering the full ramifications of the
decisions being made).