Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 14:25:12 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, nate@mt.sri.com, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, davidg@Root.COM, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some recent changes to GENERIC

> > > Yes, but 'newer' SVGA cards *now* blow up when sio3 is enabled.  In the
> > > past this wasn't a big deal, but even in 2.1R we had quite a few folks
> > > who got wiped out by sio3 (read Usenet), and this is only going to get
> > > worse with the faster S3/ATI/Mach cards becoming more commonplace.
> >
> > I posted the assembly code used to detect these cards once already.
>
> Yeah, so?  By disabling the probe, we have a solution as well.  Having
> access to pointers to all the relevant information is a good thing, but
> when the current solution is acceptable then a different solution won't
> be done.  If you think the 'assembly code' probe fix is worth it,
> generate a set of patches and send them to me and I'll integrate them if
> I find them acceptable.  (And I *do* understand the issues, but don't
> have time nor desire to fix it like you think it should be fixed.)

Most machines come with two serial ports.

If my PPP connection is via an internal modem, it is impossible for
that modem to be anywhere *but* sio2/sio3.

How do I install?

I don't, I guess.

This does not rank high on my "acceptable current soloution" scale.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.