Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 12:18:42 -0000
From:      paul@originative.co.uk
To:        chuckr@mat.net, dillon@apollo.backplane.com
Cc:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, toasty@home.dragondata.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, dm@globalserve.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: NFS - Will it ever be fixed?

I think one of the flaws in the thinking here is that this is somehow a
"one-off" task. While NFS may be really crufty at the moment and cleaning it
up may be a one-off task keeping it working is a long term commitment.

As examples, if David and John had been hired to write the unified VM system
how long do you think it would have stayed working after their contracts had
finished?

There are only two ways, in my mind, that FreeBSD can solve these problems.
You have people on board who take responsibility for these tasks over the
medium to long term just for kicks, which is how we currently work in the
main, or you have some commercial company run with the ball and provide
commercial support for a particular subsystem. This is largely starting to
happen on the user side (sendmail, Sleepy Cat, etc) but as yet hasn't
happened much on the kernel side.

Paul.