Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 2002 22:27:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        Michael Wells <mwvw@adelphia.net>, FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: Peter heads back to M$FT WinBloze [integrate X]

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Dan Nelson wrote:
> Peter> Will FreeBSD's core of developers ever leap into integrating X *and* a window manager (something similar to Windows)?  I surely hope so.
> If you mean pulling X into the FreeBSD CVS tree and deciding on a
> single window manager, definitely not.  Although if you call having an

Maybe as a default, or just *having* a default window manager is not a bad
idea.  CVS-savvy and code-savvy FreeBSD users could easily over-ride.

> XFree86-Server package, and over a dozen window manager packages,
> selectable by sysinstall during the install process, integration, we
> already have it, and have for years.
> --
> Dan Nelson - dnelson@allantgroup.com

The packages offered by the sysinstall process are usually behind by a few
weeks.  When I installed 4.3 from CDROMs, it wasn't clear how to install
and/or upgrade over FTP.  At the time (Feb 2002), XFree86 3.3.6 was the
only GUI available and from sysinstall, the process of choosing a windows
manager was confusing.

Perhaps in the future we'll have a NoviceWM or BeginnerWM or the like.
This would be similar to how UNIX ISPs offer a UNIX shell known as "lush"
or learning unix shell -- the employees may jokingly call this
loser-user-shell because it is a menu'ed way to explore a limited set of
UNIX commands.

Perhaps sysinstall will feature much better FAQ's and HOWTO documents
detailing video drivers, X, and windows managers one day...

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder