Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 2004 11:19:03 +0100 (MET)
From:      Adriaan de Groot <adridg@cs.kun.nl>
To:        Will Saxon <WillS@housing.ufl.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: AMD64 support in 5.x versions

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Will Saxon wrote:

> It does boot multi user w/o acpi on my system, I can log in and do some
> things, but without network support I was not able to do much since I
> had no packages or port installation capability.

One option is to use some nasty leftover hardware from somewhere - for
instance, I had an old 3Com 3c905 (?) card lying around, used that for
initial networking, fetched the cvsup package from David O'Brien (?),
adjusted the supfiles (because it doesn't support compress - as noted on
the webpage, but not everybody seems to read that), updated to -CURRENT,
and went from there. In theory _everybody_ has a leftover PCI NIC
somewhere :)

> I plan to give it another try after -RELEASE and spend more time with
> it. Right now I am slogging through a "why did I let them convince me to
> use 'stage 1'" gentoo x86_64 install. I'm sure linux will work well for
> me on this system but after several years of FreeBSD use Linux feels
> like a wet pair of socks...yuck...

Reports I've heard - perhaps from James on this list - are that Gentoo
amd64 and the other available Linuxen are just as wonky, if you can get
them to compile at all.

--
 Adriaan de Groot    adridg@cs.kun.nl     Kamer A6020     024-3652272
GPG Key Fingerprint 934E 31AA 80A7 723F 54F9  50ED 76AC EE01 FEA2 A3FE