Date:      Thu, 08 Mar 2007 12:11:41 -0500
From:      drgerlists@gmail.com (Dr. Gary E. RAFE)
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Toshiba Sat Pro 6100 & 6.2-RELEASE, ACPI & wi0

I'm in the process of setting up 6.2-RELEASE
on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 (2.0 GHz, 512 MB, 1600x1200x16)
for a friend.

Most of what I put together so far comes from the Installation
CD, with a custom kernel based on my previous experience with
this hardware on 6.1-R.

At this point in the process, most things "just work",
without much trouble (e.g., X.org, PCM sound, USB, etc.).

Two exceptions, however, are the following:

 1. ACPI resume from "acpiconf -s 3" fails to reset
    ad0 properly, which results in a kernel panic,
    and hence, a failed resume-from-suspend.

 2. The IPv4 address information for the miniPCI-based
    wi0 device "goes away" after some (random) period of
    being connected, all-the-while being associated with the AP.

Neither of these should be show-stoppers for the new owner
of the notebook.

I'm very interested in working toward a solution for the
first issue, since I own the same hardware, and would
like to implemented ACPI on it
(in place of APM, which handles suspend/resume reliably).

The second issue just bugs me, since I haven't yet found
any explanation for this behavior
(I tried two different wi(4)-based miniPCI cards,
with different firmware, with the same unexplained
results).

For completeness, I put the text output of a verbose boot
dmesg(8) here:
	<http://drgerlists.googlepages.com/dmesgvtsp61kymsa.txt>;

Discussion on either or both issues is welcome,
as the new owner is anxious to take their new
FreeBSD notebook home working as well as it can.
--
Dr Gary E RAFE: drgerlists at gmail dot com