Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 2002 18:33:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Darren Henderson <darren@nighttide.net>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   mystery technologies?

I just came across a banner ad on daemonnews that points to a service I'm
a bit perplexed by, http:/johncompanies.com/collocation/

It offers "A collocated FreeBSD 4.5 server, with one IP, and 2 gigabytes
of disk space" for $65 with 40Gb of transfer per month, tripple homed etc.

Sounds nice but... "Our steep discounts are made possible by technology
that allows us to segment mainframe class servers into multiple,
independent servers - each on a completely autonomous system." I don't
believe I have heard of anyone porting FreeBSD to any big iron, perhaps
some old Alpha mainframes? But I haven't heard of folks running multiple
instances of the system on one box...

It further claims each machine has at least four processors and many
gigabytes of ram. and "at any given moment you will have access to a large
majority of these resources" and further "This is because usage is highly
non-parallel, and because server instances can be transparently moved from
one physical server to the next." I'm not entirely sure what this is
saying... first it sounds like you will be sharing a single server with
others (jailed instances of the operating system maybe?) and in the next
its implying, to me at least, that the operating system is capable of
floating transparently across hardware clusters.

Is this kind of stuff really out there?

There are other curious statements, "We have in place sophisticated
methods of performance 'smoothing' between our host machines that allows us
to transparently place each server instance in an optimal performance
environment." Load balancing operating system instances? "...there is no
need to 'fsck' or otherwise maintain the filesystem after a crash."

Anyone have any idea what these folks are doing or had any experience with
them?