Date:      Sun, 15 Nov 1998 20:01:15 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Vinum] Stupid benchmark: newfsstone

Terry Lambert & Co. wrote:

> It's not clear to me that spindle sync, with various drive
> performance features enabled, actually refers to anything more
> than cylinder selection; i.e., that you couldn't argue that
> drive-level optimizations, e.g., write caching, are lower level
> than spindle sync.  In other words, at what level do you actually
> engage in synchronization?

We used to have a fairly 'old' (SCO? It might have been) system, running a
number of 1Gb SCSI Drive's (DEC 3107's I think) - we had the option to use
'spindle sync' - but never actually used it...

As far as I can remember the doc's said it would only give you an advantage if
you were using the drives in a mirrored or duplexed array, i.e. the same read
would be issued to all drives, or all drives would perform the same write -
and would complete more or less in the same time (due to the spindles being in
the same position at the time of the read/write being issued), hence you
shouldn't get additional rotational delay latency (tagged queing/caching
should be the same for each drive in this instance - as they're all doing the
same thing at the same time)...

I guess the thinking was so long as you issued the _same_ command/commands &
sequences to all drives, i.e. "Read this sector, write that sector" across all
drives - they would all complete at the same time... I guess RAID5, 'un-pure'
block allocation / concatentation / mirroring (either caused by the O/S or the
drive remapping sectors etc. (which incidentally the 3107's do have ;-) - has
caused this option to be pretty un-usable in todays world... Though the number
of defects remapped on drives is normally pretty minimal (not that that is any
real defense for bringing spindle synch back again ;-)

I also seem to have a vague memory of talking someone through _not_ linking
the Spindle sync. on their DEC drives to the sp.sync on their Seagate drives
;-) Though it would have probably been interesting... <G>

-Kp