Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 12:05:18 +0100 (CET)
From:      Achim Patzner <ap@bnc.net>
To:        tsbarry@nortelnetworks.com (Barry Scott)
Cc:        ap@bnc.net, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I4B support for US ISDN?

> > And now someone might tell me why the CCITT needs such a brain damaged
> > vocabulary to describe the simple facts of life.
>
> 	Maybe the facts are obvious to you. But would I understand them the
> 	same way? If not we cannot communicate. Much of the language of the
> 	CCITT is an attempt to be precise in specification.

Totally off-topic, but...

This is not what I wanted to say... Let me try again: The entire civilized
world would use the term "byte" for data words of 8 bits size. CCITT needede
to coin the term "octets" to keep the French happy. The same about the term
"reference point". And calling the equipment to connect non-ISDN devices to
an S reference point "Terminal Adapter" was some kind of meanness too - at
that time this term was already in use for totally diffenrent equipment.
It's like IBM using EBCDIC . "We're the Borg. Prepare your dictionaries to
be assimilated".

I stumbled about that kind of "we don't really care" when I started working
on an X.400/X.500 project a long tiome ago.

And if you care for precise specifications... Yesterday I had to learn that
IETF isn't much nicer than my scrutinizing Archie's original message (which
I just did to remind people of CCITT's way of demanding "precision"). And
obviously their papers are definitely easier to understand ynd readable
without looking up words in the glossary all the time.

Noses.