Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 1996 20:15:06 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith), jmb@freefall.freebsd.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, nate@sri.MT.net, phk@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tcl -- what's going on here.

Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org> wrote:

> I like the idea of vendor-branching, but, for instance, the ability
> to build cross environments or alternate processor architectures is
> not handled well by the GNU "Configure" crap, which wants to "localize"
> source to the target environment.

But, you can specify a --srcdir option to separate the localizations from
the master source.

> This is simply something that the
> GNU folks "do badly".  It's hard to agree to not replacing code that
> I believe is "done badly".

Hmmm...how so?  You mean just that it doesn't handle it out of the box so
that the default is keep the localizations separate?  It's easy enough to
wrap what's provided in a heterogenous and/or source tree separated
environment.  Or am I misinterpreting your objections?

[A little background: I've got things setup here so I have an amd
controlled mountpoint called /sw so that my /usr/local is a symlink to
/sw/local and platform specific files go under /sw/.mtype (which is amd
redirected) - so /sw/local/bin is a symlink to /sw/.mtype/bin and so
forth]

So, I can generally build a GNU package on any platform like this:

	cd /homes/src/gnu/PACKAGE || exit 1
	MTYPE=`MTYPE`     # Determine machine type
	[ -d $MTYPE ] || mkdir $MTYPE
	cd $MTYPE &&
	  ../configure  --prefix=/sw/local --exec-prefix=/sw/.mtype &&
	  gmake all install

or to do them in parallel with a "rsh to groups of hosts" perl script:

	gsh2 build 'cd /homes/src/gnu/PACKAGE && mkdir `MTYPE`; cd `MTYPE` &&
	  ../configure --prefix=/sw/local --exec-prefix=/sw/.mtype &&
	  gmake all install'

although I usually do the build first & check the gmake output before
installing the software.

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org