Date:      9 Apr 1997 13:39:16 GMT
From:      peter@spinner.DIALix.COM (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to get the latest de driver under FreeBSD...

In article <199704090003.JAA21528@genesis.atrad.adelaide.edu.au>,
	msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith) writes:
> Matt Thomas stands accused of saying:
>>
>> I just wrote a web page on how to upgrade/update your FreeBSD so
>> it can run the latest de driver (which is in NetBSD).
>>
>> It's at http://www.3am-software.com/ifmedia.html .  Note that the NetBSD
>> is in much better shape than the current FreeBSD driver.
>>
>> (www.3am-software.com is now 206.107.21.156 if you have problems accessing
>> that page)
>
> Is anyone actively looking at committing this?  If not, I'll take it - we
> certainly need it.

Beware!  There are bugs in the "how-to" on the web page..  I've
discovered some changes to net/if.c that were missed, It either causes
the SIOC{GS}IFMEDIA ioctl's to either be ignored, or to allow
non-priviliged users to change the media settings.  Imagine Joe Hacker
on your shell server being able to change the ethernet card settings...

I've got this stuff in my tree at the moment and was about to give it a
shot.

> Thanks Matt!

Cheers,
-Peter