Date:      Wed, 03 Mar 1999 19:42:02 -0500
From:      Dru <genisis@istar.ca>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   my bit for the cause

Last Monday, I started a FreeBSD users group at the technical school I
teach at (in Kingston, Ontario).  We started with an Installathon and will
be tackling a project every Monday evening.  This week was PPP, next week
we compile new kernels.  So far we have a list of weekly projects that
should keep us busy for several months of Mondays.

We started with 10 users who brought in 2 extra converts the 2nd Monday.
Users have NO previous experience with BSD, and varying experience working
with Netware, NT, and Linux.  All are agreed that BSD was the easiest
install of these OSs and that connecting to the Net was effortless as
compared to Linux.

None of the users had any experience with using mailing lists, so I set up
a private list on listbot.com so they can learn proper netiquette and how
to provide what technical assistance they've acquired thus far. One of our
later projects will be setting up a list using Majordomo. At some point,
the FreeBSD lists will have an extra dozen or so subscribers that will know
how to correctly post to a list (after reading the manpages first, and from
a proper mailer--as soon as I figure out how teach them to use one!)

That's it for now.  Can keep the list posted on our progress if any one is
interested.

Dru

She didn't know it couldn't be done, so she went ahead and did it.