Date:      Sat, 10 Mar 2001 23:07:25 -0500
From:      Damien Tougas <damien@carroll.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Looking for Yoda

I am in the process of learning C programming, but I seem to running
up against a bit of a problem: I have nothing to program. I have
books, tried the exercises, but always with the same result. I get
bored very quickly, the exercises don't interest me much at all. I
have programming experience in a variety of languages, including
Fortran, Perl, Bourne shell, PHP, as well as some SQL programming
experience.  The way I was able to learn those was out of necessity; I
had a project that I needed to do, so I learned as I worked on the
project.  I would start on the easier parts first, then grow on to the
more complex ones as my skills improved.

I guess one might question why I am wasting my time if I have nothing
to program that interests me. Well, there are actually several
reasons. First of all, I am a full time FreeBSD systems administrator,
and I am finding that my lack of C programming knowledge is probably
the biggest obstacle in my path right now. My job does not actually
require me to do C programming, but I can't count how many times I
could have solved a problem had I the proper programming experience.
Secondly, I love programming. This reason is quite self explanatory.
Thirdly, I want to understand FreeBSD at a deeper level, and perhaps
one day even contribute to the project in some meaningful way.

What I think I need is a mentor. Someone who is experienced, working
on an interesting project (preferably FreeBSD related), and who is
obviously willing to take the time to work with someone such as
myself. Someone who could give me a task, and check over my work along
the way; not hand holding, just guidance. I know that there are
a million different projects at sourceforge, but the tough part is
actually finding someone to work with in that sort of relationship.

Are there any mentors out there? Are there other approaches out there
that people have taken that they have found successful?

--
Damien Tougas
Systems Administrator