Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 20:40:53 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-advocacy <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Are we a Political Action Committee ?

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Amancio Hasty wrote:

>My view was personal and it did not involved the group . I did CC the group
>with the hope of inviting the State Attorney to respond not just to me
>but to  the group and to start a discussion. My email was signed by me
>and it did not represent the group's view that should have been
>obvious however I accept the gross interpretation and apologies for
>that.

Fair.

>To those who really detested what I did, advocacy  is an art irrespective
>of how it is implemented there will always be some that hate / love
>an approach so if you are easily excitable  or offended then perhaps
>this mailing list is not for you.

I did not detest. I was not offended or excited. I did strongly disagree.
I expressed this disagreement.

I maintain that advocacy and government politics are seperate.

Now, about this list and whether or not it is for me. This list is for me,
for you, but primarily for us, the FreeBSD community.

"... not for you."

I will not be discounted from participation here because I am not engaging
in an invective sort of advocacy. Ranting should not be considered a "Red
Badge of Courage". I fear that we operate with the premise that we _must_
get bloody in order to advocate FreeBSD.

I have read advocacy news groups. It took me all of ten minutes to figure
out that I would never bother to read an advocacy news group again. Let's
make sure that FreeBSD gets more than that ten minutes of attention from
any prospective user.

How do we do this? By providing an _engaging, compelling_ reason to
listen.

Am I unique in my rejection of the advocacy news groups? If I am, then
perhaps I am fully out of touch.

>In fairness , we are attempting to define ourselves so mistakes will
>be made along the way and I hope that we can correct them.

Very fair. In fact, this reply should be considered part of that shaping.

>Now the hard part , it is not clear how we can shape up this group
>to do any kind of advocacy . This is mostly due to our culture
>kind of anarchism due to mostly non-involvement .

Yes. This is the hard part. You know better than I as you are a developer
and are ingrained in this anarchy and know how to operate in that
environment. (this is not insult, just a statement)

>Given that perhaps the advocacy mailing list should be a forum to
>discuss ideas on how to conduct or carry out advocacy where it
>really counts, out of this mailing list in an open forum

This is also appropriate. But let's get our house in order before we
invite people over for dinner.

Thank you,       | Try some of this. It will show you where you're at.
Jason Wells	 | http://www.freebsd.org/