Date:      06 Mar 2002 15:32:58 -0800
From:      "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs/35602: dump(8)/restore(8) pages don't explain "active file systems".

>Number:         35602
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       dump(8)/restore(8) pages don't explain "active file systems".
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical

The two man pages use "active file system" as if it has a particular
meaning but the term is nowhere described, leaving the user wondering
and/or adding to freebsd-questions.

ALSO: The dump(8) map page should also explain the implications of
using it on an active FS (an implied suggestion in the Tower of Hanoi
paragraph), maybe in the form of a WARNING, or BUG.
================
>How-To-Repeat:
n/a
>Fix:

FreeBSD needs a "jargon" doc somewhere (man page, section of man pages,
section of Handbook, article, ...).  For now, add descriptions to these
man pages.  I'm not sure what it means.  Mike Meyer said "An active file
system is being changed." and implied that even an writable FS can be
inactive.  (SoftUpdates with it's big delays comes to mind here.)
Unmounted and read-only FSs are always inactive.