Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 1998 23:58:26 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        jbryant@unix.tfs.net
Cc:        dg@root.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp.cdrom.com

Jim Bryant wrote...
> In reply:
> > >
> > >Although one of the advantages the PPro does have over the PII's is that
> > >you can have 4 PPro's and you can only have 2 PII's now if you've got
> > >you're ftp site distributed across some machines then maybe its not so
> > >much of a concern, but at the moment PPro's are the chip of choice for
> > >high-end servers, plus I believe the PPro can cache all 4Gb of memory
> > >while PII can only do 512Mb.
> > >
> > >So dream machine would be - 4 PPro 200's (overclocked to 233 :) all with
> > >1Mb of L2 cache and > 512Mb RAM.
> >
> >    The cachability restriction is one of the things that the new Slot II
> > processors solve. I don't know how scalable they are with SMP, however,
> > although this isn't an issue for ftp.cdrom.com where I have no near-term
> > plans to go beyond a single processor.
>
> One of the systems on our floor at work is a new DG box...  4 P-II's...

	Four Pentium II's?  What chipset does the system use?  The only
chipset Intel has released so far (AFAIK) that supports 4 processors is the
450GX chipset.

	In any case, it seems a bit silly to have a large four processor
server that can't cache more than 512MB of RAM.  The only way it could
cache more is if it's a NUMA machine, and has a different pool of RAM for
each processor.

	Care to elaborate on this machine?  Model number, specs?

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com