Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 17:03:35 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Snob Art Genre <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
Cc:        "K.J.Koster" <kjk1@ukc.ac.uk>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A simple way to crash your system.

> Msdosfs is seriously broken.  It has twice damaged my filesystem to the
> extent that I had to reinstall FreeBSD.  Don't use it.
>
> There is no documentation of the fact that it's that screwed up, which is
> something that whoever's responsible for documenting these things might
> want to look into.

We should probably just remove it entirely for now.  I have some
stand-alone dosfs reading code which Robert Nordier gave me and I
intend to use for sysinstall, so that's that case covered.  Otherwise,
as you've already found out, you take your life in your hands with
msdosfs.

Any strong votes to the contrary?  I don't think there's anything
about the current msdosfs we want to keep anyway.

					Jordan