Date:      Fri, 5 Sep 2003 09:10:30 -0700
From:      Ted Faber <faber@ISI.EDU>
To:        Dwayne MacKinnon <Dwayne.MacKinnon@xwave.com>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: PUzzling sshd behaviour

--wxDdMuZNg1r63Hyj

On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 12:04:04PM -0400, Dwayne MacKinnon wrote:
> That much I know. I was just wondering why the daemon is trying DNS
> lookup when the IP in question is listed in /etc/hosts. I thought
> listings in /etc/hosts would supercede the need for a DNS lookup. Of
> course, I could be wrong... it wouldn't be the first time. :-)

If you haven't you need to check out /etc/host.conf , the file that
configures the hostname lookup order (at least on 4.8).
man 5 host.conf will tell you all about it.  If you have already
configured this, you might want to look again.  (man -k resolver should
help you find whatever it is on 5.x - I suspect it's nsswitch.)

--wxDdMuZNg1r63Hyj

--wxDdMuZNg1r63Hyj--