Date:      Tue, 3 Apr 2012 14:47:38 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Erich Dollansky <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
Cc:        tim smith <timsmith7@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: modem

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 09:39:38 +0700, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 03 April 2012 06:49:55 tim smith wrote:
> >
> > My us robotics serial modem worked without issue on previous freebsd versions. With 9, user ppp term, I get /dev/cuau0/ device failed to open
> >
> > Suggestions?
> >
> what does
>
> ls /dev
>
> say?
>
> Is the modem at least seen by FreeBSD?

Erm... "seen by FreeBSD"? I have never noticed something
like that. The OS "sees" the _serial port_ devices and assigns
a device in /dev, but the modem itself does not cause any further
action.

I've been using an Elsa Microlink serial modem in the past.
By the time the serial subsystem in FreeBSD changed, I didn't
use it anymore, but I assume /dev/cuau0, /dev/cuau0.init and
/dev/cuau0.lock should be present when the serial port is
configured correctly. See "man 4 sio" for details.

A ppp "session protocol" would also be interesting for
diagnosis purposes.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany