Date:      Sun, 3 May 1998 18:23:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>
To:        Nicole <freelist@webweaver.net>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, FreeBSD advocacy list <FreeBSD-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: InfoWorld Electric: Linux Zealots Trashing FreeBSD, Berkeley

On Sun, 3 May 1998, Nicole wrote:

> I have heard one good argument against the FreeBSD liscense altho I don't know h
> ow true it is..
>
>  Their agument was that the license would allow someone (like M$) to take Freebs
> d and add some propritary stuff to it (like Front page extensions, active X etc)
>  and sell it without having to give anything back to the FreeBSD group or even s
> tate that it was FreeBSD.

that is the whole point. As someone stated before who commednted on GPL vs
BSD I think it was john?, thats the point. When he writes code for FreeBSD
he is doing so with the knowledge it is TOTALLY FREE. NO STRINGS ATTACHED.
Once he writes something for freebsd its in the interest that SOMEONE
finds his code good enough to use. They don't do this for profit, greed,
or to put strings on the code they write. Which is why the BSD license is
free 100% and GPL is not free, and its anti-commercial. GPL is like that
oasis in the desert you can see the water and it's almost in reach but
right as you reach it it appears 20 yards farther out. Thats how GPL
works, they hand you the code, you think your free to use it but then,
oooohh gotta give what you write with it back, sorry wish it could be free
but we cannot allow you to take our hard work and use it freely without
giving something back. So GPL is NOT free. Free 100% is to allow the users
of the code to do whatever it is they wish with it with
NO/ZIP/ZERO/NONE/NADA strings attached. GPL is only free as long as you
dont use it, if you use it your FORCED into giving what youw rite with it
back. That is not free. That is the opposite of free.
GPL is a license. but it is NOT FREE. It has many uses but it is not free.
It is dilusional to think so.

Chris

--
"I don't do favors, I accumulate debts"

===================================| Open Systems Networking And Consulting.
  FreeBSD 2.2.6 is available now!  | Phone: 316-326-6800
-----------------------------------| 1402 N. Washington, Wellington, KS-67152
   FreeBSD: The power to serve!    | E-Mail: opsys@open-systems.net
      http://www.freebsd.org       | Consulting-Network Engineering-Security