Date:      Fri, 08 May 1998 19:50:27 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: *sigh* Anyone else see this article?

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > This is just getting depressing :)
> >
> > http://www.wired.com/news/news/business/story/12187.html
>
> Why?  Sounds good to me!  We can then run all this stuff!
>
> People have to stop thinking of additional Linux market penetration as
> such a bad thing - it's "paving the road" for us in a number of areas
> where we'd just plain and simply NOT be able to go otherwise.  Do you

I agree with that thought, but I see trouble in the longer term. What
this is doing is shifting the battlefield, and faster than we would have
thought. People will see that it works. NCI will bring out their version
with Free/OpenBSD, and Sun will finally open-source the Java OS The new
battleground will be hardware which runs free software. The old
(software) dinosaurs can't compete in this battleground. M$ will die,
because they can't expose the fact that the Emperor has no d*** under
his fancy clothes. Hardware architectures will become the next weapons,
and (I hate to say it) unless Intel or Oracle really move quickly to
dominate this battle, Linux will have the advantage because it runs on
all, from StrongARM to P-II. The user wants universality, not ultimate
performance. We need to see where we can go in this scenario, where we
should position ourselves.

--> Don