Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2000 20:20:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        tom.oneil@instantisp.net
Cc:        Free <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SMB over internet

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Tom ONeil wrote:

> Anyone ever allow SMB to be used, either NT or Samba, for a server? I
> have a client who wants to share a database with remote employees.
>  My gut reaction is no, but I don't know the protocol well enough to
> detail why it's a bad idea and what alternatives to offer.

  Hosting a multi-user database through a shared filesystem is usually bad
news.  Especially if this something like an MS-Access mdb file.  Lots of
companys figure mdb is pretty neat, until they setup workstations
to access it.  Trying to do it over an LAN will be worse.

  Time to look at a proper RDMS system...  Sybase 11.0.3 is free for
FreeBSD now!

Tom