Date:      Mon, 05 Mar 2001 20:20:29 -0600
From:      Bob Martin <bob@buckhorn.net>
To:        "Jonathan M. Slivko" <jslivko@datasyrge.net>
Subject:   Re: Miagrating from Red Hat Linux to FreeBSD

"Jonathan M. Slivko" wrote:

> Actually, I happen to know quite a bit about FreeBSD. However, I am not
> looking for a magic cure to convert files, etc. I am just wondering if
> it's possible if I just copy the files onto a disk and put them back in
> their right places, will it work flawlessly. Also, would the esame
> approach work for stored e-mail, etc?

Stored e-mail will transfer just fine, but be very careful about user
id/group settings. That's the tricky part.

As someone else has alread mentioned, as long as you don't change
versions, most add on software could care less about the OS. BIND 8.2.3
files are exactly the same on Linux, xBSD, Solaris and NT. The only
sendmail file that's system dependant is sendmail.cf.

Bob
--
As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.