Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:18:42 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Marcin Dalecki <mdcki@gmx.net>
Cc:        Michael Bushkov <bushman@rsu.ru>
Subject:   Re: nscd for freebsd

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Marcin Dalecki wrote:

> Michael Bushkov wrote:
> > Good day!
> > Can anyone tell me if there is an implementation of nscd for FreeBSD?
> > If there is no, who's currently working on it?
>
> You can use bind in caching only mode. A far suprerior solution
> to the problem at hand. So there is no need for "takoje malenkoje gawno" as
> nscd is under Linux.

Recent discussions on -arch surprisingly managed to avoid the knee-jerk
reactions due to other nscd _implementations_ while discussing the
need to make /bin dynamically loaded to support NSS &co. The alternative
(lookupd) approach was raised and seemed to find favour, but I don't
know if that tactic has been adopted. FWIW I think it makes a lot of
sense.

NB: with "Fundamental Human Rights" come "Fundamental Human Responsibilities".