Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 2002 16:07:16 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG

Have several of these at work because they support 3.3 volt PCI:

pcm0: <Aureal Vortex 8810>

Using the aureal-kmod-1.3_4 port the card works well execpt for the
first second or so of sound which is missing or of very low volume and
eventually picks up to correct operating output volume.

Yanking the card and using anything else I have, (Crystal Semiconductor
on Dell MB, ES1371 on PCI), everything works perfectly.

Considering the origins of the driver for this card it might be hard to
fix the driver. But maybe not?

Sound cards are cheap so normally I'd simply toss the cards (all 20 of
them) rather than fight the driver. But in this case we are using an
embedded PC with one PCI slot at 3.3 volts. This Aureal card was
selected mostly because it was 3.3 volt compatible. And then found to
be FreeBSD compatible (or so we thought). And stopped looking.

To the question boils down to: 1) might the Aureal driver be fixed? Or
2) anybody know of a good 3.3 volt PCI soundcard?

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net