Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:02:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Ryan Watson <watsonr@gulliver.summitoh.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Maximum recommended user limits on mail server

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Ryan Watson wrote:

> > On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Bill Vermillion wrote:
> >
> > > A person I know is looking to have a mail server with 10K-15K
> > > accounts and 50 virtual domains.
> > >
> > > He's thinking he needs to go with 'big iron' such as SUN.
> >
> >   Well, if he wants to waste money....  10 to 15K accounts is not a lot
> > accounts.  Plus, "Sun big iron" comes with such slow processors.  For
> > instance, the 2.4Ghz Xeon is going to be faster than any single Sun
> > processor.  You'll need a quad Ultrasparc to keep up with a basic dual
> > Xeon (like Dell Poweredge 2650).
>
> Do you have any reference for this?  I happen to run both, and can tell you
> that the Sparcs even with a much lesser config will absolutely blow the Dell
> away.  The Xeon is not a serious server chip.  It is possible it might have
> an advantage with 32 bit apps, but most Sparcs run 64-bit apps.  A single
> UltraSparc II will easily keep up with a Xeon.
>
> Ryan

  Nice to ask for references, but not provide any yourself...

  The fastest Ultrasparc II is not faster than the fastest Xeon.  There
are plenty of processor benchmarks online.  Come one:  a 3Ghz CISC
processor vs. a 1Ghz RISC processor?  There is just no way.

  32bit vs. 64bit is not really relevent.  When you compile an application
on US, the compiler will generate 64bit code on a US, and 32bit code on a
Xeon.  Which will run faster?  The Xeon.  The US can probably execute a
few more instructions per cycle, but has a lot more instructions to
execute (compare the size of US binaries to x86 binaries) and fewer
cycles.

Tom