Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 1996 07:38:38 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: When gcc-2.7.2 hits ctm

On Wed, 19 Jun 1996, Chuck Robey wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jun 1996, Andreas Klemm wrote:

> Andreas, EVERYONE who uses ctm gets all their updates by mail.  I doubt
> if .05 percent of ctm users can take a one day 25MB mailbomb. I sure
> couldn't, the university doesn't give me that much room.

Well isn't it your local FreeBSD box ... what does the university have
to deal with it ...

> To say 'deal
> with it' ignores the point that this simply cannot be dealt with without
> some planning.

That should the user have done before ... it's perhaps not so clever,
to have a too small spool area ... I have much mail and UUCP traffic,
so I planned some reserves ...

Even after I had problems with my 4GB hard drive (which turns at least out
to be possibly a power supply problem), where a had to downsize everything
(5GB) to 1 GB, I have reasonable space in the spool area:

Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/sd0a       19487    13364     4565    75%    /
mfs:16          63567        7    58475     0%    /tmp
/dev/sd0s2e     38991     4039    31833    11%    /var
                                  ^^^^^
/dev/sd0s2f     78975    39650    33007    55%    /data
/dev/sd0s2g    567880   519418     3032    99%    /usr

My system is so small here on the 1 GB drive, that I even can't do
a make world ... I only get CTM, because soon I'll have my 4 GB
drive back, and I want to keep my source repository up to date.

What I want to say, getting the cvs-cur mailinglist via CTM means,...
I'm using my system for make worlds and checking out the sources and
so on ... then I do need a lot os space ...

It's always a bad idea to have a too small /var directory ...
/ you can make small, if a separate /var is present and if
tmp files are mainly created in /var/tmp...

/var/spool should be sufficient in space + some extra space ...
And people getting cvs-cur via CTM should face the fact, that
it's possible, to get a 'biggy' every now and then ...

But generally it's of course nice from you to speak it out
loud, that there might be a problem ... I only want to say,
if you prepare your system correctly to get cvs-cur, then
it should be no problem.

	Andreas ///

--
andreas@klemm.gtn.com         /\/\___      Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH