Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 22:34:10 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        smurfen@ludd.luth.se (Ola Persson)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wradar!

(If this is getting too digressional for people, I'll take it off the list...)

Ola Persson stands accused of saying:

> Yeah they seemed to like it. I guess they told you guys about the accident
> they had there a few years ago. It was a rocket that ignited in the
> assembly building smashing one technician in to a concrete wall. So the
> guy I spoke with said that he REALLY liked it. But that he was scared at
> the same time.

Yeah.  So now they test the coil resistance of the igniters _before_ they
stick them into the rocket motor. 8)

> Ahhh, we were about 60 ppl in that room and a guy just said something
> about was purpose the room served. So I never had time to check out the
> computers..... Wish I could have though. The NT machine I saw was on the
> rocket launch countdown control desk.

This is upstairs in the main building?  If you'd turned around and
looked through the glass wall into the science centre, you would have
been looking square at one of our BSD boxes.  Nothing terribly fancy, but
still, it's a start 8)

> Heh..... Did you ever check out how big the crash area is ??? It is like
> huge.... I don't remember the size right now...

Yeah.  They showed us the video of the Lapps cowering behind the big steel
shrapnel shields downrange too 8)

> By the way.... June eh ? he he.... How did ya like our killer mosquitos ?
> Really they are miniature vampire bats...

Well, they were very enthusiastic, and about as thick as flies over
here, but nothing like as bloodthirsty as I was expecting.  Mozzies
here are _serious_ about biting, none of this "lets swarm around and
fly up 'is nose" business. 8)

> Mmmmmmm, if you have ever been up in the Swedish mountains in the summer,
> up by a lake high up, all alone, or with a few friends, fishing and
> camping, you would have done the same.... Nothing beats that, nothing.

Agreed.  Except perhaps Norway, although it might just have been those
tall leggy Norse girls that made me homesick 8) Still, I'd like to
spend more time enjoying myself in that area and less running around
looking at radars with other smelly nerds 8)

> > There'll be a few of our people there around April or so, but it's not
> > looking like I'll get to go again this time.  Drat.
>
> What are you guys doing there ?

Upgrading the radar, of course 8) Adding some mixed hardware/software
beam-steering capabilities, and trying to work out why the controller
explodes every few days with a pile of SCSI errors.  Probably upgrade
the BSD machines to 2.2 at the same time.

One of the beer-heads from the office is going to experience the
bizarre oddity that is System Bolaget 8) (and have his head blown off
by the berry-powered moonshine that the engineers brew in their spare
time 8)

> Ps. Did you fly to Lulea/Kallax airport or did you go directly to Kiruna ?

Straight from Stockholm to Kiruna.  (Actually,
Adelaide-Sydney-Bangkok-London-Stockholm-Kiruna nonstop.  And I forgot
to change my socks.  Oops 8)