Date:      Mon, 02 Dec 2002 14:20:08 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
Cc:        advocacy@freeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: List of big names ...

Johnson David wrote:
> Do we need big names?

"Big names" are a marketing tool: nothing more, and nothing less.

> Do we really need a user base that insists on using what the
> Joneses are using?

If "the Joneses" are using FreeBSD, then yes.  As in any marketing,
the ends justify the means.  It doesn't really matter *why* someone
picks FreeBSD over another OS, only that they *do so*.

> The "everyone" that's falling behind Linux are just a handful of
> mega-corporations. When you look at small corporations and
> businesses, there are quite a few that use FreeBSD instead of Linux

For the purposes of this discussion, the "small corporations" you
are referring to are "big names".

> My ISP is one of them. But announcing my ISP in a list to impress
> corporate bigwigs isn't going to impress anyone.

Sure it is.  A happy reference account is a happy reference account.

This is not like we are trying to convince IBM, or GM, or Chevron
to switch to FreeBSD... he isn't trying to reference into a huge
corporation, he's trying to reference into a small company that's
looking at FreeBSD as an embedded systems platform.  The best
reference accounts for any company are (1) Successful companies in
the same market, and (2) Successful companies that are larger than
the company in question, since all companies expect to grow, and
want to know what they are going to be growing into won't make them
change their decision later.

-- Terry