Date:      Fri, 7 Nov 2003 12:57:29 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Exim Users <exim-users@exim.org>
Subject:   Exim + Oracle on FreeBSD - a complication

Hello All,

Please bear with me as I am not quite sure which is the correct list to
post this to. I am divided on whether freebsd-database or freebsd-isp
would be the most appropriate. I have CCed this to exim-users list.
Thank you.

I have installed Oracle 9i on FreeBSD (5.1-REL) successfully. The aim
was to kill two birds with the same stone, but unfortunately it looks
like I didn't aim well enough to get the two birds:

Bird 1: Compile Exim MTA with Oracle Support
Bird 2: Learn a few things about Oracle.

Now I got to a point where I am compiling Exim with support for Oracle (
besides MySQL and Perl) and this is where problems have sprung up.
When I build Exim, I get this warning:

/usr/bin/ld: warning: libc.so.6, needed by
/shared/oracle9/u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.1.0/lib/libclntsh.so, may
conflict with libc.so.5

Now from what I can see, libc.so.6 comes from the linux-devtools while
libc.so.5 is native to FreeBSD.
I compiled, but there really seems to be a problem which I "think" is a
result of the warning above: I get so much garbage outputted when I run
even a simple test like `exim -bV`. In trying to isolate the problem,
I did separate build while switching on options one by one. I discovered
the following

(a) Exim+MySQL+Perl	= OK.
(b) Exim+Oracle+Perl 	= NOT OK.
(c) Exim+Oracle+MySQL	= NOT OK.

Not okay means I see the outputted garbage! I'm not an expert but I am
naively attributing this to the libc conflicts;)

My questions:

1. Is there any way to do this cleanly to avoid anything that
   may be consequent upon the warning about libc conflicts?
2. Has anyone succeeded with a similar setup.

Thank you for any pointers.

-Wash

--
    |\      _,,,---,,_     | Odhiambo Washington    <wash@wananchi.com>
Zzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_ | Wananchi Online Ltd.   www.wananchi.com
   |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'| Tel: +254 20 313985-9  +254 20 313922
  '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)     | GSM: +254 722 743223   +254 733 744121
+
The world's as ugly as sin,
And almost as delightful
		-- Frederick Locker-Lampson