Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 1995 21:13:02 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, nate@rocky.sri.MT.net, graichen@sirius.physik.fu-berlin.de, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ideas from netbsd

> > Which means that instead of the one example Jordan cited (AFS) of a
> > a desirable piece of NetBSD-only code, the tally is up to a minimum
> > of three: AFS, JAVA, World21.  I think the actual number is higher.
>
> This depends on how you count them up.
>
> 1. An AFS is underway for FreeBSD and should be finished fairly soon.

This is news (good news!).

> 2. We need to integrate our own pthreads support badly enough that JAVA
>    would better serve as incentive for a native port.  I don't think that
>    pursuing NetBSD ABI emulation to that end is the best use of resources.

This is a misunderstanding.

JAVA will *not* work, as shipped by Sun, with pthreads or other user space
threading system.

The port to a user space threading model is being done to Linux and SunOS,
and a NetBSD-specific port is being done in parallel.

You misunderstand if you believe the changes are being rolled all at once,
or that they will be any more directly applicable to FreeBSD than the
NetBSD DOSEMU changes.

JAVA has expectations that won't be that easily satisfied.

> 3. The World21 LKM really needs to be ported.

Or abstracted entirely from system dependencies.  I guess you could
call this a "port" as well, techincally.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.