Date:      Tue, 06 Jul 2004 18:00:32 -0500
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Scott Elgram <SElgram@verifpoint.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pop3/SMTP

Scott Elgram wrote:

>Hello,
>    Can anyone tell me a good/secure POP3/SMTP server for FreeBSD that can handle SPAM and Virus protection?
>
>-Scott

Don't know if this'd be better over on the ??'s
list or not:

$cd /usr/ports && make search key=POP3

$cd /usr/ports && make search key=SMTP

$cd /usr/ports && make search key=antivirus

I personally run Sendmail in a dual config setup
with clamav, Amavis and SpamAssassin.  My POP
servers vary --- no trouble, generally, with Popper,
Qpopper or the one that goes with imap-uw (I
basically forget about 'em, they just run --- always
only inside the borders anyway...)

I've heard it said that Postfix is good here, too.

Be warned that most likely, POP and SMTP servers
are seperate entities; so are the AV scanners and
Spam tools that interface with them, so you're really
choosing 3 to 5/6 packages instead of just one....

Kevin Kinsey