Date:      Tue, 13 May 1997 08:32:06 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   IDE probe slowness; Was: Re: if_de.c ????

In the last episode (May 13), Warner Losh said:

> Yup.  However, 90% of the time to get to that point is probing device
> and timeouts on my machine (2 scsi busses and 2 IDE controllers).  I
> haven't commented some of them out yet.
>
> Warner

Not to get too off-topic, but if you're tired of the long delays in the
IDE probe, a quick fix is to adjust the TIMEOUT define at the top of
/sys/i386/isa/wd.c .  It is 10000 by default, but I'm using 2000 on a
couple of machines without problems.  My IDE bus has one ATAPI disk,
and during the probe, wdwait() waits for the entire timeout period 3
times (which I think comes to 30 secods). With TIMEOUT at 2000, I only
wait 6 seconds.

I haven't looked at any IDE specs, but I'm sure the delay is this high
to accomodate older IDE disks.

The SCSI wait is easier to change; options SCSI_DELAY in the kernel
config file.  I use SCSI_DELAY=1 with no ill effects.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com