Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 1995 20:38:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Timing bug with Netscape 2.0b2

On Tue, 7 Nov 1995, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> I don't visit any pages with blinking text in them, so I can't
> verify it.. :-)
>
> Send me a URL where this happens and I'll give it a look.  I certainly
> haven't noticed anything like this myself.

It isn't just blinking text (although if you want a cool example, try the
Netscape Hall of Shame:  http://www.meat.com/netscape_hos.html  and click
on "Blink Sink").  Another thing which is supposed to blink (but in
FreeBSD does not) is the insertion point in the currently active
TextField (for example, in the Location box at the top, or in a fill-out
form).

The really weird thing is when you go to a page that blinks (or are
watching the insertion point blink), it blinks as long as it is still in
the process of downloading something.  As soon as everything is finished,
it stops!  Then, if you wiggle the mouse back and forth really quick, it
starts blinking again, but the speed depending on how fast you move the
mouse..  Weird, eh?

> BTW, has anyone looked at some of the new features in 2.0b2?  The
> scripting features and the "frames" look *really* promising.  I went
> through their little "recruitment service" demo and was pretty
> impressed.
>
> These people are going to take over the world.  I want some
> stock! :-)
>
> 						Jordan

No doubt!  Actually, frames aren't too impressive compared to Java (when
it gets stable enough and is supported in FreeBSD), the improved bookmark
editor, FTP transfers automatically opening a separate progress meter (these
last two were first introduced in Netscape for Windows 1.2 btw), better
USENET reader, mail reader, and plug-ins!  Boy, so many features, so
little time (to debug them all!) Already, I must have reported six or
seven bugs already...  I just hope they fix 'em all!

     Jake Hamby                         |   E-Mail:  jehamby@lightside.com
  Student, Cal Poly University, Pomona  |   System Administrator, JPL