Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 09:51:06 +0100
From:      Dominic Mitchell <Dom.Mitchell@palmerharvey.co.uk>
To:        Joey Garcia <gummibear@we.mediaone.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and PowerPC (The IBM Motherboard Thing)

On Wed, Aug 25, 1999 at 08:20:15PM -0700, Joey Garcia wrote:
> I was wondering what stance FreeBSD will have when IBM publishes it's open
> motherboard specification for PowerPC based motherboards.  Will the FreeBSD
> project embrace the PowerPC platform considering it will be open easily
> attainable?

I should imagine that anyone willing to do the work (and there'll be a
lot of it) and remain committed to it would have full support.

> At work we have an AS/400 (nice database machine, although way overpriced)
> which uses the IBM PowerPC 64 bit chip.  That machine cranks out alot of
> work using only one CPU -- it does everything from warehouse inventory
> control to supporting more than 50 users without breaking a sweat.  I can
> only imagine the possibilies with FreeBSD ported to the PowerPC platform.

You won't be putting FreeBSD on the AS/400 anytime soon.  AS/400 has a
totally different supporting architecture when compared to things like
the Macintosh, which I believe is based on the CHRP (Common Hardware
Reference Platform), the same as the RS/6000's.
--
Dom Mitchell -- Palmer & Harvey McLane -- Unix Systems Administrator

"Ordinary folks who don't understand computers don't deserve to be
 mocked. Ordinary people who want to use their computers but refuse to
 learn anything about them do." -- slashdot comment

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com