Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 12:33:02 +0000
From:      Matthew Ryan <matt@overdose.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   OS X clients - Samba  Arrrrggg!!

Hi all,

I'm running a Samba server under FreeBSD Release 4.8, so far everything
has been just spanky but I added a new share yesterday and now I have
an odd problem with my OS X clients.

Actually I only tried to copy files to the server from an OS X machine
for the first time yesterday so I don't actually know how long the
problem has been around. I do remember having some trouble organising
files on the server from an OS X client a week or so again.

In fact, shortly after the server crashed "No more mbufs?" I restarted
and it's been fine since.

The problem is this:

When I try to copy files from the OS X clients (and I have tried 2 to
be sure), I see a

  "Could not complete the operation because you don't have enough
privileges" error.

Of corse, I am sure that the user I am logged on to the server as has
full read write access to the directory concerned. To be sure I have
logged on as different users. I find this problem in the Home
Directories as well!

Just to further confuse things - I am able to create a new folder and
delete it again, although I am never permitted to put a file in it.
And even stranger - when the copy fails it leaves a 0k file at the
destination with name of the file I try to copy.

All this works perfectly on Win XP, Win 200 or Win 98 clients.

We also run a Win 200AS file server and the OS X clients seem to have
no problem coping files to shares on that machine.

Confused? - I am!

Chances are that I'm doing something daft - usually the way but I can't
see what.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Matthew Ryan