Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 23:28:49 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: An FS question perhaps... non blocking I/O.

John Polstra scribbled this message on Sep 12:
> In article <199909091954.PAA13059@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>,
> Garrett Wollman  <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> [POLLEXTEND, POLLATTRIB, POLLNLINK, POLLWRITE]
>
> > It is probably undocumented.  I was a bit reluctant to document it
> > since I know that the interface is not correct.  One of these days,
> > I (or more likely some enterprising young hacker) will fix it.
>
> Just to avoid duplicated effort:  I currently have work in progress
> on a "fslog" pseudo-device.  It enables you to monitor a filesystem
> and receive notifications for all interesting changes to files and
> directories.  This includes reads, writes, renames, file creations,
> unlinks, links, etc. -- anything that changes the stat(2) results
> for a file, or causes directory entries to be created, destroyed, or
> changed.  The device itself is working, but so far I have implemented
> the support for only a few of the event types.  It won't take much
> more work to finish it.

ugh, why aren't you extending poll to work on files and directories to
get this info??  it would make MUCH more sense to extend poll to do this..

any specific reason why it wasn't done this way?

> My personal interest is to allow a CVSup master server to avoid
> doing a tree walk whenever a client connects.  I want to provide the
> functionality of the old "supscan" utility, but in real time.

I completely agree that something like this should be implemented..
then we can out shine winXX in where file managers have files appeare
INSTANTLY after they are created... :)

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 541 684 8449
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  "The soul contains in itself the event that shall presently befall it.
  The event is only the actualizing of its thought." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson