Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 1995 09:10:17 -0700
From:      Edward Wang <edward@edcom.com>
To:        paul@vix.com
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: DEC screend in core FreeBSD

/ The patches that need to be applied to ip_input.c are license-free.

They (the few lines there are) are substantially rewritten for FreeBSD
in any case.  (Rather, I didn't have much luck getting it to work as is.
Things may have changed.)

/ The new files (ip_screen.*, gw_screen.*, screend/*) are all restricted
/ by a DEC license such that no third party redistribution is permitted.
/ (This is an improvement over the previous license, let me assure you --
/ and it's also the best I was able to get.)

Sounds like time to reimplement it.
I've seen the code though, so I'm not sure I qualify.
The kernel hooks are tiny, but screend itself is bigger.

Also, maybe the time is better spent improving ipfirewall.
Is anyone actively working on that?

Another thing: why can't the bpf stuff be used as the basis
for a fire wall?  It already has a filter compiler in tcpdump, no?