Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 2000 20:44:02 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@chello.nl>
To:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Cc:        Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>, "Dmitry S. Sivachenko" <dima@Chg.RU>, freebsd-i18n@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gettext

On Sat, Jun 24, 2000 at 06:39:06PM +0200, Alexander Langer wrote:
> Thus spake Boris Popov (bp@butya.kz):
>
> > 	This is not correct. Not everybody knows English well, these are
> > mostly newbies and having translated docs and program messages is a real
> > help for them.
>
> Yes. But while I prefer German menus in GUI-programs, for example, I
> really dislike, that the same LANG var affects those stuff.
>
> Imagine a bug-report: How do _you_ want to understand an error message
> in German??

I can live with German. But Korean/Russian/Japanese etc will be much more
difficult for Joe/Jane-average-committer. An idea like VMS uses comes to mind:
IOERR-F-NOSUCHDEV: <insert localised text here>. The IOERR-thingy (I just
invented this example) will be the same regardless of any i18n translated
error text.

Just an idea..

--
Wilko Bulte  	 	http://www.freebsd.org  "Do, or do not. There is no try"