Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 01:15:39 -0300
From:      "Conrado Vardanega" <cvarda@ig.com.br>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How does FreeBSD performs in server tasks? [off-topic]

Hi there.

Please excuse me for this off-topic post. This was posted in
freebsd-hardware with very low response and I personally think this could be
of interest of most of you.

I would like to hear from Athlon-based server owners/admins how does it
performs with server tasks. My aim is to find out how good is a Pentium III
chip for a server instead a low-cost, high-performance Athlon CPU. I would
consider, for evaluation purposes, a (FreeBSD) system running
Apache/PHP/mod_ssl and MySQL mainly, because they're pretty sensitive to
user-response. So, which are the pros and cons of having a Intel based
server or a AMD based server?

"Add-in" topic: how DDR-memory instead SDRAM affects server performance?

Once again, sorry for the off-topic and thank you.

---
Conrado Vardanega
cvarda@ig.com.br