Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 22:53:59 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux to be deployed in Mexican schools; Where was FreeBSD?

At 06:04 PM 11/24/98 -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

>> The problem is that, because Walnut Creek is really the source for the
>> CD-ROMs, folks here are powerless to do very much. The best we can do
>
>Not to put too fine a point on it, but this is complete and total
>equine exhaust material.

Hmmm.... If your horse produces exhaust, it probably needs tuning. ;-)

>As I've frequently stated here, all you have to do is tell me WHEN AND
>WHERE to send CD-ROMS and they will be sent.

This is good to know! I hadn't seen any such information before.

>I don't think people really quite realize just how many CDs are
>provided freely and at substantial expense to Walnut Creek CDROM - I
>think the 2.2.6 give-away program ran well into high 5 figure amount$
>and, indeed, the only reaction we got from Brett was heavy criticism
>for sending out a product with "known security problems."

I still think that's so. When you give away freebies, you always want
to put your best foot forward! If you hand someone something as a sample
with NO WARNING that it could compromise their data and/or the security
of their enterprise, you are NOT going to produce a positive result. If
ONE HACKER gets in, sets up a packet sniffer, and causes a high-profile
security breach at a major corporation, it'll do five figures worth of
HARM to FreeBSD's reputation.

>Sometimes I
>think it's just impossible to satisfy some folks which, in turn, leads
>me to wonder whether it's even worth-while trying to do so.  Ruminate
>on that a bit, won't you?

I think it's important to be careful where one ruminates, lest one
produce, er, undesirable exhaust material. ;-)

--Brett