Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2001 17:31:28 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: an and wi ad-hoc talking

In message <20011110182900.Y327@numachi.com> Brian Reichert writes:
: On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 04:00:42PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
: > OK.  I have two Orinoco cards talking to each other in ah-hoc mode:
: >
: > These talk to each other great.  They happen to be located 5.5 miles
: > apart, and I'm able to get about 5Mbps out of the cards (averaged over
: > a long file transfer).
:
: You got five-and-a-half _miles_ point-to-point with Orinoco cards?!
:
: Have you plugged some kind of external antenna on them?  I though
: they were only good for a few hundred yards...

Oh, yes.  I have two 24dBi dishes on each end.  If it weren't for the
trees on my end, we'd only need two 14dBi yagis.

I don't get great signal:

	sig: -85, noise: -95, qual: 10
	sig: -84, noise: -98, qual: 14
	sig: -86, noise: -94, qual: 8

between them, but then again, I do get bits over them.  I run them
generally wired to 2Mbps, but in adverse weather I wire them at
1Mbps.  In snow, I usually see about a 3-6dB increase in the noise,
and a 5-10 dB decrease in the signal.  Those of you that are quick at
math will realize that this is larger than my link quality :-(.

At sunrise/sunset we have intersting effects on link quality.  We get
the best signal at night (when it isn't frosting) and during the
hottest part of the day.

But that doesn't help me with my Cisco 340 card :-(.  The Cisco card
is attractive because I can get it it, in a ISA form factor, on Ebay
for $99, which is price competitive with the wavelan + pcmcia bridge
($60-$90 + $20-$40) w/o some of the hassles.

Warner