Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2002 09:13:49 +0100
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        Pete Ehlke <pde@ehlke.net>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: qmail (Was: Maintaining Access Control Lists )

Brad Knowles said on Mar 29, 2002 at 01:24:00:
> > I found the following:
> > http://cr.yp.to/qmail/knowles.html (I assume the original comment here
> >   was tongue-in-cheek...)
> > http://cr.yp.to/qmail/warfield.html
> > http://cr.yp.to/qmail/jackson.html
> > http://cr.yp.to/qmail/venema.html...
>
> 	Cool!  I rank up there with Wietse?  Excellent!

Actually, Wietse is linked from his main pages, I don't think you are
:)

Well, I use qmail and other DJB stuff myself, and like it.  (No idea
about its security and performance and all, my needs are modest, but I
found it was easy to set up and extremely well documented.)  I also
agree with him that if you accuse him, on a public mailing list, of
ignoring bug reports/security holes, you should say what they are.
The only one I'm aware of, which Wietse pointed out years ago and
continues to harp on, is the memory exhaustion thing, which in Dan's
opinion is the job of the operating system and not the MTA (though I
guess he should have fixed his docs to discuss the problem, at least).

And his license is a problem too, of course -- this was #17 on your
list of complaints.  But he doesn't forbid redistribution of source
code and he doesn't forbid distribution of patches, so it's really a
problem only for binary distributors like Red Hat...