Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 1999 11:57:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Ivan <Ivan.Djelic@prism.uvsq.fr>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Out of swap handling and X lockups in 3.2R

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     How about this - add an 'importance' resource.  The lower the number,
>     the more likely the process will be killed if the system runs out of
>     resources.  We would also make fork automatically decrement the number
>     by one in the child.
>
>     The default would be 1000.  The sysadmin could then use login.conf to
>     lower the hard limit for particular users or user classes, and of course
>     set a specific limit for particular root-run processes (though, in general,
>     the daemons will be protected because their children will be more likely
>     to be killed then they will).
>
>     The system would use the importance resource to modify its search for
>     processes to kill - perhaps use it as a divisor.  Or the system could use
>     it absolutely then kill the biggest process of the N processes sitting
>     at the lowest importance level.
>
>     This also solves the sysad-cant-login problem and the user-is-naughty
>     problem.

I knew it would be Matt to come up with something like this, it sounds
great.

Maybe a limit to how many kills a process can score, meaning that if
one process seems to be killing a lot of programs the system may come
down and kill it?

This along with sleeping would allow someone to log in, (with a high
importance) and probably su and still be able to manage to save the
box.

maybe? :)

-Alfred