Date:      Thu, 11 Feb 1999 12:19:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Bjoern Fischer <bfischer@Techfak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS + cdda2wav

:Then I compiled the whole thing for debugging. Synchronization
:between the parent (writing) process and the child (reading)
:process is managed with fifos. Just before the last write should
:be done the syncing function receives a SIGPIPE as it was trying
:to write to the pipe. At the time I don't know how this can happen.
:
:  Bjoern

    SIGPIPE occurs if the reader side of the fifo goes away and the writer
    then tries to write.  So it looks like one of the two processes must be
    dying ( perhaps thinking that the transfer is done ) whe, in fact, there
    is still a little more data in the fifo to write.

    It sounds like a timing bug in the program rather then an OS bug.

					-Matt

					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>