Date:      Sun, 19 Sep 1999 18:06:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, Wayne Cuddy <wayne@crb-web.com>, FreeBSD Hackers List <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: what is devfs?

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :It seems more correct (to me) to state that there was a furious
> :disagreement over whether or not to allow some memory of file permissions
> :in devfs.  Since there was never any agreement, DEVFS has smoldered.  I
> :think there's general agreement it would be a good thing to have, but that
> :argument over how to keep user configurations must be handled.
> :
> :Saying it was dumped by people who "didn't get it" isn't quite correct,
> :just people who didn't agree with your viewpoint on permissions.  It
> :wasn't only your viewpoint, I know there were many other highly qualified
> :folks who agreed with you, but there wasn't much spirit of compromise
> :evinced.
> :
> :
> :----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>     Well, I tried using it months ago but it crashed the machine a lot :-)
>     Those bugs are supposedly fixed now, right?  Can I go back to using it?
>
>     It seems to me that we have to be able to change ownership/modes for
>     DEVFS devices to deal with tty's and pty's properly.  Are people arguing
>     over that or are people arguing over whether the changes should be
>     persistent or not?  Personally I don't care if they aren't persistent,
>     it's a simple matter to set things up in rc.local.

I think, if you go back to the archives, and look over the discussions,
the real stumbling block was the persistence issue.  Bugs can be fixed,
but seeing as there was never any agreement over how to even approach the
persistence question, it was an intractable issue.

Personally, Matt, it would be  *great* thing to have ... do you know of
any way we could please both camps?  They're pretty stubborn about it.

>     I really want to be able to use DEVFS for my diskless startup code.  Right
>     now I have to wave my hands and do some magic to make /dev work right
>     for diskless BOOTP startups.
>
> 					-Matt
> 					Matthew Dillon
> 					<dillon@backplane.com>

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C programming, Electronics,
213 Lakeside Dr. Apt. T-1  | communications, and signal processing.
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
(301) 220-2114             |       jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)