Date:      Thu, 9 Apr 1998 02:45:03 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        tom@sdf.com (Tom)
Cc:        louie@TransSys.COM, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, robert@cyrus.watson.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape: Linux a top priority (news.com article)

> > An interesting question is of the high-volume FreeBSD-based web servers,
> > how many would want to purchase the Netscape product rather than just
> > using Apache?
>
>   I think there would be more interest in the other stuff that makes up
> SuiteSpot like the integrated mail and news server with LDAP support
> combined with a web interface.

LDAP runs under FreeBSD, but even with all the patches, it's not
*quite* the same as the NetScape, which runs a full v3 LDAP.  The
UMICH LDAP + Critical Angle patches + Terry patches is nearly a
full v3 LDAP.  But there is little subschema support, and the
NULL basedn support/namingcontexts attributes are not happy.

I *do* have a method of getting the basedn using "cn=config" with
a stock server now, so that's not tottaly necessary any more.

Oh yeah; I also have the following schema's:

	RFC2307		(use and LDAP server ti store NIS information)
	Netscape	(same as the Netscape LDAP server schema)

And a couple others I won't discuss yet.  8-).

So it wouldn't be that hard.  But that'd be a heck of a kick in
the face as a reward for releaseing free software: "release one
of your tools under a free license, and that will trigger us to
duplicate all the rest of them".  Be a bit of a bad thing for
anyone in the future considering doing the same thing.

I'll probably put the basedn autodetection code into the Mozilla
port, when it firms up a bit, and make the "search root" part of
the directory dialog optional (default = autodetect radio button,
or something like that).

Oh yeah.  I have part of a getpwent/gethostent/getprotoent/...
set of libc function replacements  done (the Linux ones suck, and
they don't compile anyway, and they're LGPL'ed) so that you can
boot a FreeBSD box using an RFC2307 LDAP server instead almost
all of the files normally found in /etc/passwd (the ones that
NIS+ can serve, anyway).

8-) 8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org