Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 12:35:40 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        small@freebsd.org
Subject:   iopener hack

There's a story over on slashdot that purports to say that netpliance
has changed some things about the iopener.  First, they are now
requiring that one get service from them.  Second, they are claiming
that any modification is a violation under the terms they are selling
to you as (which is bs and unenforcible, but they are welcome to try,
the most they can do is cancel my warrantee).  Finally, the iopeners
shipped after March 20 can't be modified like has been widely
reported.  Don't know how they did this, but if it was with no-stick
parts, or if it was with special high-security bolts, these can easily
be worked around :-).

I'm still going to get mine, but only if they don't force me to buy
more than one month of internet service from them, and I'll resist
that.

Warner