Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 23:01:34 +1300
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        jarvis@guru.wow.aust.com
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what's in a name?

On 4 Mar 99, at 13:32, Jarvis Cochrane wrote:

> (I guess I'm just very cautious about writing anything for 'FreeBSD'
> rather than just for me. So, I'll happily stand up and write about my
> personal experiences and opinions and stuff in a public forum, but I'd be
> much more cautious about writing, in some sense, on behalf of a larger
> group...)

Neah!  If anyone takes your writing and thrashes, bugger them.  If you
want to write something, just have a look at FreeBSD'zine
(www.freebsdzine.org) [or indeed, my website <grin>].  The authors there
are not gurus or gods.  They're just like you and me.

Speaking for myself, I consider myself a newbie.  I used some Unix at
university and I've been using FreeBSD for about 10 months now.  But I
certainly don't know a great deal.  But what I did for my website was
write about what I was doing and how I did it.  And I wrote it plain and
simple.  For other newbies.  That's all you have to do.  Stuff like that
is invaluable!  At least, that's what the feedback I've been getting.

Just throw something together and put it to the freebsdzine and get it
published.  We proof read each others work.  But don't be worried about
making mistakes.  We all make them.  And they get corrected.  I've never
been flamed about mistakes.  But when I'm unsure about something, I'm
always careful to emphasize that point.

So the next time you are installing a new port, or making some changes to
your configuration, write those notes up and submit them.  For sure,
someone else will want to do the same thing and they'll be glad to have
your article!

--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary